Thursday, August 28, 2008

My Writing Space #11


As Mr. Stephen King will attest, every writer has his valuables. That is why I keep a safe in my home office. This is a secret safe. No one knows about it . . . not even my wife. I make sure that I tell no one that the combination is 36-14-44. I can't bear the thought of someone breaking into my safe and stealing all of my valuables.
For example, what would I do without my 1970 Thurman Munson baseball card? That's in here. I've also hidden away such irreplaceable treasures like: a 1910 Liberty head dime that I found in the backyard when I was ten; my grandmother's gall stones in a mason jar; five video tapes that preserve evidence of my children's birth and Becky birthing them; an old bottle of Coppertone lotion from 1978 (my summer of love); a glass eye (I'm keeping it on hand in case I need it later).
I'm sure Mr. King has none of these treasures in his office in Maine. He probably has crab cakes and lobster tails. His safe is probably at the First National Bank of Maine (and he probably has his millions insured through FDIC). My safe is in my closet, and if the house burns, I lose everything.
Mr. King doesn't worry about his future. I have to keep these items in my safe to make sure I have a retirement fund.

No comments: