Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Tip Top

Now here's an interesting turn.  Last week I noted that my book, $5 Youth Ministry, was chosen for inclusion in a list of 40 Books Every Catholic Should Read.  Among some of the other top titles were The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People, Who Moved My Cheese?, and several other best-sellers.  My book was included as the one youth ministry book that would be most impactful in today's tough economic climate.

Well, $5 Youth Ministry is not a best-seller (far, far from it).  But I am a bit surprised that more people haven't discovered it.  I'm especially confused by folks who overlook it in today's tough economy.  Who wouldn't want to save money?

Some months back, I did get one piece of mail from a pastor who was complaining that, while the book advertises a $5 Ministry, it cost him $9.95.  His point, I guess, was that the publisher should price the book accordingly and, essentially, give it away.

I'm all for freebies, believe me.  In fact, all of my personal copies of the book have been given away over these years, and I've purchased many others at my own expense and given these away, too.  What little royalties I have received, I have given to others in the form of cash, more books, or checks to charities of a wide assortment.  Always have.

Every time I write a check, my wife wants to know when I am taking her to dinner.  I remind her that I cook most of the meals and this is her payback.

I don't know if making this list will impact the sales of $5 Youth Ministry, but I can still dream of earning more than $3.76.  I have however promised my wife that, the next time I get a royalty check, I'll take her out to dinner at Wendy's instead of giving the cash to some guy on the street who is holding up a "Will Work for Food" sign.

I guess I've earned a break from the kitchen.  And it will be nice to have someone waiting on me for a change instead of slaving over this hot stove. I can't wait to hear the waitress ask me, "Do you want fries with that?"  

    

No comments: