Friday, January 6, 2012

Christmas Cards

What a day to savor Christmas cards.  Among my favorites of the year include:

Two cards from my English teacher, senior year, high school. Thanks, Miss Wallace for writing me yet again, reminding me of why the study of literature and the English language has always been such a joy in my life.  I know I don't write often enough, but in case you are wondering, I like verbs best.  I try to give special attention to my verbs, especially when I'm talking to Becky.  You remember her?  The girl who sat next to me while we read McBeth?  Well, I married her.  Sure, she was as plain as a mud fence back then, but you should see her now.  She likes adjectives. Describes everything non-stop!  I act, she tells me what I've done wrong.  It's a perfect marriage!  And your cards meant a lot to us both!!!

And get this: I also received a card from my literary agent.  The first time this has happened in nearly forty years of writing. Thank you, Cindy!  I'm grateful for the confidence and the encouragement.  Indeed, I do pray that 2012 will be the year!  Hope springs eternal.

Now that I've read all of these cards, I'm not sure what to do with them.  Toss them?  File them?  Sautee them in onions? 

Becky says we keep them until next Christmas inside the ornament box and replace the new with the old.  This sounds like a plan.  And from the way she describes it, I don't really have a choice.  But that's an adjective for you . . . .

No comments: