Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Type-ology

Last night I finished reading the bulk of Just My Type: A Book About Fonts, by Simon Garfield.  And while the subject of print fonts might be considered boring to many, I found this subject of peculiar interest . . . as I deal in fonts daily, and have spent many hours of my life working in various types of Type.  Garfield brings a clever and compelling panache to the history and the telling of type's development and the various background-stories about the people who created them.

Lest you think that font selection doesn't matter, it might be comforting to know that I have chosen to write this blog in Arial, as opposed to say Times New Roman or Verdana.

And lest you don't know the difference on the eyes, try reading the following sentences in the following type faces:

What do you think of this?  (Courier)
What do you think of this?  (Georgia)
What do you think of this?  (Helvetica)
What do you think of this?  (Times)
What do you think of this?  (Trebuchet)
What do you think of this?  (Verdana)

Now that I've written this last sentence in Verdana, you might actually prefer it to Arial.  What do you think?  Easier on the eyes?

Do the "eyes" have it?

If anyone is interested, I'll be tallying your votes now.  Let me know if I'm your TYPE.

No comments: