Wednesday, March 30, 2011

The Wave


I'm reading Susan Casey's fascinating book: The Wave. This book was published before the Japan Tsunami, but brings some fascinating science and human interest stories (surfers looking for the "big one" etc.) to bear upon the growing threat of the rising ocean tides. People can continue to debate global warming and the reasons pro/con, but the scientific community and the surfer dudes have known for some time now that the ocean waves are getting larger and more powerful. There are some big waves out there!


Science doesn't understand all of this, but as Casey's book enlightens, the oceans could never be controlled and even with our best technology and ingenuity, we are at a loss (humanly speaking) to stem the tide of these waves that can, and will continue, to wipe out entire coastal towns and maybe even smaller countries. Scientists are doing their best to understand why two ocean liners per week (per week) disappear into the depths without a trace, and what tidal forces beyond on comprehension are taking them under. Last year there were more tropical storms, worldwide, than at any other time in recorded history, and the numbers continue to grow.


I like this book, but it's a frightening read . . . makes me think twice about going on a cruise again, though I'll never have a hankering for surfing after reading about the massive waves of Oahu or the Australian pipeline. This book might do for the beach what JAWS did for ocean resorts . . . make people scared to go back into the water.


From now on, I'm only going to soak in the Jacuzzi tub in our master bedroom. This is enough wave for me. And if my wife wants to join me in the bubbles, I'll inflate a raft. Can't be too careful these days!

No comments: