Thursday, March 31, 2011

Reading to Learn


There are two reasons I read: enjoyment & learning. Reading for enjoyment is probably my greatest compulsion, but when there is learning involved too, it's a double-feature.


I enjoy reading any book, on any subject (especially on matters of ignorance) and have always tried to read widely in disciplines ranging from history, science, sociology, psychology, biography, health, business, and leadership . . . among others. I find as I get older, I read less theology and church-related books. I think I had my fill in seminary and besides, the more I read in these areas the more I am inclined to agree with the writer of Ecclesiastes: There is nothing new under the sun and of the making of many books there is no end.


I read very little church-related material that is thought-provoking, edgy, or stirring. (There are, and continue to be exceptions . . . but I find these are rare.) This may be my bias or lack of reading deeply enough into the mix, but I'd rather read a book about the creation of the periodic table than I would a book about Understanding Galatians for Today. Hopefully I understand Galatians enough to read it,but I don't know much about the periodic table. My mind is open and I'm eager to learn new things in new disciplines.


Nevertheless, I'd challenge anyone to read more in those areas that are lacking in their knowledge base. Certainly, if you don't know the books of the Bible, or haven't read it lately, better get crackin' on the Good Book. Read more theology and study guides. Attend a study. Talk about what you've learned.


And if you don't know know much about James K. Polk, or the discovery of helium, or the invention of ice cream, or the composition of fertile farm land . . . I'm sure there are plenty of titles that could elucidate on these matters and a million more.


Excuse me now while I read a bit about John Milton, followed by a few pages of a physics book about momentum, mass, and the employment of safety features in automobiles. I need to learn something new.

No comments: