Tuesday, March 15, 2011

March Madness


Indeed, this is March Madness . . . and the insane humor of this blog is heavy with the world's suffering. Earthquakes, tsunamis, wars, radiation, starvation . . . these very real madnesses are ever-present, basketball or not.

I've found myself writing some reflections on these horrendous experiences, but even so I often turn to humor to compensate for the insanity of the world in which we live. In fact, people through the years have asked me why I write so much humor when I could be writing otherwise drab, depressing, and serious fodder. My answer: I laugh to cope and to hope. So . . . I trust that this blog won't make light of the world so much as it will lighten the world we often carry on our shoulders. I need to write this blog for my own sanity, and I hope to bring a smile to others. I'm inviting you into my warped world of reading and writing. But I also invite you to find healing in laughter and the hope that your life is much better than mine!

Yes, I'm praying for the people of Japan (and many others) and my heart is heavy, but I'm still trying to smile and make some good happen where I can, trying to remind people that God is good, and is our rescue, strength and provision.

I'm also trying to wrest a basketball away from Michelle Knight, who claimed the victory in the NCAA Calvary office competition last year (and I didn't even pick Duke to win, and they DID!). This year, I'm picking Duke (and they likely WON'T). Still, I've got the RIGHT brackets this year and I know that deflated Wilson basketball will soon grace my office bookshelves.

I'd better win. If I don't, I'm gonna throw one heck of a fit. That, or I'm gonna buy myself a basketball.


No comments: