Thursday, March 17, 2011

Let the Games Begin


For all intents and purposes, the NCAA men's basketball tournament begins today (St. Patrick's Day to boot!). The games are beginning.

And speaking of games, I started another game of my own yesterday when I sent two new book proposals to two separate publishers under the moniker: "For Your Consideration." This first step of the connection always requires courage and conviction. Who would want to read a book like this? I ask myself. (Particularly in light of the fact that no one has read my previous 20 books.) Why would I want to write a book like this? Am I going mad? I must be out of my mind!

These interior conversations are, indeed, nightmarish . . . but at least I have the courage to undress myself in front of an editor and say, "Here I am . . . tell me what you think, but be gentle."

It's a game. Really. That's what this enterprise is in its essence. It's about rolling dice, and plucking cards from a pile, and moving around the board hoping that someone will land on my property and want to buy it. Or at least they will owe me some rent.

But listen, just once in my life, when it comes to writing books . . . I'd love to roll doubles. It's always fun to have a go again, and I feel like I'm always in jail.

No comments: