Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Be-Deviled


A few weeks ago I wrote to an editor at Duke University Press. The subject: a biographical/historical project I've had in the works for over two years. Writing to this editor, I felt a renewed kinship to the University in Durham and could picture myself exiting out of the Divinity School doors onto the lawn immediately in front of the towering chapel, sunlight on my shoulders, hair half way down my back, bearded, looking quite like Jesus.

My letter to the editor pointed out that, in addition to being a Duke graduate, I'm also rooting for the Blue Devils in the upcoming NCAA (though it will be an equal opportunity to root for Indiana State, Purdue and Butler). I tried to write a cover letter that would elicit some interest in my book, but have yet to receive a response. Perhaps I should add:

Dear Editor,
Please accept this work into the Duke Press mix as, the winter here in Indiana has been ****. You can't believing how depressing it is to live in a state where 90% of the days are overcast and gray. Yes, I remember the blue North Carolina skies (and yes, I know all the jokes about God being a tarheel!). Still, even a little thing like having this work accepted by Duke University Press would keep me from jumping into the White Lick creek near my house. I wouldn't drown, but I'd probably break a leg . . . so as you can see, I'm serious about this.

So, let's get down to business. What'll it take, buckaroo? I've got a piece of the 1991 NCAA championship floor that I'd be willing to donate in exchange for book publication. (Yes, Bobby Hurley or Christian Laettner may have actually pivoted on this chunk during the championship game.)

I've also got Duke mugs, place mats, hoodies, T-shirts, photos, books, doormats, mouse pads, and photographs that I would be willing to trade for same.

Let's make a deal. You've got my contacts . . . I've got what you WANT.

All the Best,
A Guy Who Once Owned Season Tickets to Cameron Indoor

No comments: