Tuesday, March 1, 2011

My Mileage Deductions


One of the "perks" of being able to claim writing income on my tax return is the ability to deduct my business mileage associated with writing. I don't have much to claim in 2010, as I didn't travel all that much for writing purposes. However, I did keep my writer's mileage log up-to-date last year and could legitimately claim the following on my 2010 return. These deductions could save me all of $5.95 on my taxes . . . just enough to buy a vanilla latte at Starbucks (the only indulgence I give myself through a long year of losing money in this writing game).

Sorry federal budget and Washington politicians, I know I'm not pulling my weight to reduce the monster deficit and debt, but if you ask me nicely (heck, I wanna hear you BEG for it), I might not claim these mileage deductions and you can deduct my $5.95 tax savings from the deficit. I'll make my own vanilla latte and you can vote yourselves another pay increase.

February 2010
Two round trips to The Harrison House in Indianapolis (Deleware Avenue) to meet with archivists and historians who kindly gave me full and unencumbered access to the Presidential library. I'm still writing articles from these research forays and hope to return again this year.

June 2010
Three book signings in various bookstores, the longest journey a round-tripper to Terre Haute, Borders, Honey Creek Square Mall.

July 2010
Round trip to Avon, IN to purchase printer toner and writing supplies. On the way home I stopped at Dairy Queen and bought a medium-sized hot fudge sundae (which I won't write off!). No additional mileage was accrued on the odometer for this ice cream pit stop, but I sure did enjoy getting a "free" taste. This year, I hope to write an article about Dairy Queen and write off all of my various treats, including a Peanut Buster parfait and a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup Blizzard. Hopefully, I'll be paying taxes on my magnificent royalty check from a major magazine and can write off all of this cholesterol so I can pay my health insurance premiums.

September 2010
Various treks to libraries, bookstores, and interview sites. I also met a few people to talk about writing some grants and picked up a few lunch tabs. If it were possible to write off this food, I would have ordered filet mignon, but as tax regulations have it, I ordered a measly side salad and ate the free basket crackers loaded up with a ketsup garnish. I did pocket two Equal packets on the way out, however, and felt guilty afterwards. I don't even use Equal. Why did I take 'em, Lord?

Possible travel "write-offs" in 2011: Europe would be nice, especially Greece, where I could write an article about the deficits there. I'd also like to do more with licorice. Anything beach-related. And, of course, sex. But as my wife reminds me . . . that ain't free.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Ahh yes, this is the Todd I remember fondly from our combined childhoods. :) If you won't say how old we are, I won't remind you I am a bit younger than you ;)

Todd Outcalt said...

Thanks . . . I remember me from my childhood, too!