Friday, March 18, 2011

And Now a Word From Our Sponsor . . .


Advertising continues to change the face of publishing, as there is an ever-increasing array of ads in the back of books; and in digital formats, one usually has to slog through banners, videos and pop-ups designed to grab attention before one can read the blog, article or story. I've even seen advertisements asking the question: "Who will sponsor YOUR blog?"

Hey, who is going to sponsor this blog? How come no big-name advertisers have offered to paste their name across my photo? I need some help here!

That's why I would like to formally announce that I'm open to advertising. Not just my blog, but every piece of my life.

I've got a 1991 Caprice wagon that could be painted with a banner ad. Heck, I wouldn't even want any money for the ad, I'd just let some dork paint it by hand to improve the appearance.

I've got two shoulders that don't have tattoos. Surely there's a business somewhere that would like to inject some permanent ink into me. I'd charge for this, but the advertiser would know the ad was going to be there for a long time. Of course, the ad would be rather seasonal and would only appear when I wore a wife-beater T-shirt or when I was mowing the yard, but still, we're talking major market share, and this would get me outside more often.

And as for this blog, I'm surprised by the lack of advertising. The only thing I ever push on this blog is my wife (Benny Youngman: "Take my wife, please!"). But she's not going anywhere. Maybe I should paste her photo more often if I want to snag a sponsor. After all, she's a lot more attractive than I am and she doesn't complain.

No comments: