Saturday, May 22, 2010

Walk On . . . and You'll Never Walk Alone


A good writer is always listening to conversation . . . patterns of speech, nuances of meaning, great dialogue.

On Friday I picked up two gems within the span of five minutes. I was making visits in an assisted-living community and happened to encounter the following . . . .

First, I passed an older gentleman in the hallway who looked like he was having some trouble walking. I didn't want to run into him, and so I slowed behind him and, at one point where the hallway narrowed, I motioned for him to proceed ahead of me. "After you, sir," I said. He looked at me, scowled, and then asked, "Where the hell are you goin?" (I could have given any number of answers: ontological, theological, relational . . . but I just walked on with a smile on my face.)

Moments later, as I was exiting off the elevator onto the second floor, a group of three older ladies, all with walkers, was waiting to get on. When they saw me get off the elevator, one of the women sort of stepped back, smiled, and said, "Watch out! Now there's a big man!" Interestingly enough, all three of them watched me from behind as I walked down the hallway instead of getting on the elevator. They missed their ride.

They were all in their eighties at least . . . all smiling. And none of them were dead. Walk on, ladies!

No comments: