Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Betty & Me


I'm inspired by Betty White. Not only is she a great-looker (and in her eighties) but she remains sharp-witted, fit, and engaged in her career into the twilight of her life. A few weeks ago she hosted Saturday Night Live, becoming the oldest to host the show in SNL history, and I stayed up late to watch her . . . and I haven't watched SNL, not a single minute, in years.

Recently I heard through the tradewinds of publishing that Betty was going to be writing a book, too. (She'll probably have a ghost writer, and I'd love to be the ghost.) Still, I'll be the first in line to read about her life and work.

As a tribute to Betty, I also have rededicated myself to staying fit . . . just in case my wife will still need me or still feed me when I'm sixty-four and older. As I write this, I am already awake and beginning a new day, and I am headed for the gym. I plan to be there when the doors open and I will hoist amazing amounts of weight, struggle mightily under black iron, push and pull against cables.

(Incidentally . . . the sentence above was lifted from memory from the Gaines and Butler book, Pumping Iron, which preceded the movie of the same name and subject of bodybuilding, and is a book I purchased when I was fifteen. I've read the book no less than twenty times, I'm sure, and committed large portions of the book to memory, including the photos of Arnold, Franco, Lou and the other then-unknown bodybuilders profiled by Gaines and Butler in the 1970s.)

Oh, well . . . it was Arnold then (but he's a has-been now). Betty is my new inspiration! Who's yours?

No comments: