Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Writing For Free


It is an important point that writers must make from time to time: that he/she will actually write for free. Now, if a writer did nothing but write for free, eventually there would be no more writers. But, the freebie is an important ingredient in promotion and proliferation of one's work.

This past week, I had opportunities to write several "freebies" for various blogs, web sites, and periodicals that would help push and publicize my books. Of course, I had to take the time to write these--but in my case, I was able to dredge up some old (but perfectly great) pieces from among my hundreds of floppies loaded with files. I found some very nice youth ministry articles that I had every intention of getting published (and now shall be, though be it for free) and I discovered a couple of bridal magazine articles that I hope will find a home in some of the thick news stand bridal magazines that sell for $9.95.

I love it when my editors call and ask, "Do you have anything on hand that I could publish yesterday?"

And I can tell them. "Sure. I'll get it to you a week from last Wednesday, you can publish it yesterday, and I'll look forward to seeing it in print today."

Strange stuff, these freebies. Like living in another world.

No comments: