Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Author Info


One of the drawbacks to being away from the computer for two days is having to deal with a backlog of emails upon my return home. The delete key quickly becomes my new friend, and by the time I am done sorting and filing, I usually end up with a half dozen pastoral requests, a few dates and times I need to remember, some important attachments, and a couple of writing-related requests.

Last night (late) I finally began work on a large attachment I had received from a publisher requesting personal background, a vitae, questions and answers that the media could ask me, suggestions for interviews, and a new author photo. It was all quite dizzying, but I churned out the hullabaloo in a little under an hour and attached a personal photo of myself eating a burrito with one hand.

Some of the more interesting background I was asked to provide included:

Professional Clubs and Organizations You Belong To:
I do not belong to any club or organization (except the United Methodist Church). I abhor all organizations and meetings (of which I have an ample supply in my life, thank you). In fact, I have so many meetings, they are like gnats (I have to beat them away and they are a nuisance).

Awards, Honors & Professional Achievements
At ISU I was a recipient of a senior scholarship for English/writing that makes me proud (and, heck, it even paid my tuition). Otherwise, I once did a 315 pound bench press when I was a much younger man, and I have been driving the same car since 1992 and haven't even changed the oil. I am still married to my first wife. We have two children, which means we have been intimate at least two times in the past twenty years (is that good?). My mother thinks I am God's gift . . . but what does she know?

What Television Shows Could You See Yourself Appearing On?
CSI, Bizarre Foods With Andrew Zimmern, Green Acres . . . or are you suggesting talk shows? If that's the case, then I'll go with Oprah, Larry King, and that show hosted by the beautiful woman on CNN who always makes me blush.

Anything Else We Should Know About You?
Yeah, I feed the cat and the dog every morning, change the litter box (my son's), and kiss my wife every day. I also love bringing in the mail. Tomorrow I am taking the family to Burger King. Fries all around. Oh, and I'd love to have a book that actually sells!

No comments: