Thursday, June 18, 2009

Odd Jobs


Lately I've been trying to read more essays, and one of the books I take down from the shelves time and again is John Updike's collection: Odd Jobs. It's a singular volume of his collected essays, book reviews, and shorter pieces (most of which were originally published in The New Yorker). I enjoy the breadth and depth of Updike's interests and always find something to read in this nearly 1000 pages of material.

Reading Updike's collection, I'm also inspired to consider my own interests and what I hope to write about. As I peruse my own notebooks filled with ideas, here are just a few of the subjects I hope to write about in the near future:

An essay about R. F. Outcault, an ancestor who was the first to create and publish a comic strip (The Yellow Kid)

An essay about fitness for old guys like me

Toast recipes

A book proposal for caregiving through cancer

A scholarly essay about John the Baptist

Letters to teachers who have impacted my life (got to do this before some of them die!)

Margarine recipes

A youth ministry book proposal

A novel (that I hope to publish under an assumed name such as Cornelius McGillicudy)

No comments: