Sunday, March 23, 2008

Reading the Fine Print

Lately I have been reading a lot of fine print: financial aid forms for my daughter's college application; housing applications; print that is so small, I can't read it without a magnifying lens. Fine print, I suppose, is placed strategically in certain locations so that someone, somewhere, can be exonerated in case someone wants to sue.

But just to be fair, I think it's only right that parents be allowed to add some fine print of their own.

For example, on all of the large checks I'm going to be writing soon, I think I'll inscribe at the bottom in miniscule print: This check was written by a deranged father who wants to know how a week's worth of dormatory food costs $200. My teenage son doesn't even eat that much food in a week, and he's on a solid diet of caviar and veal.

Or another: This check will self-destruct in one semester!

Oh, and by the way, when I went to college, I was able to work part time and pay my way at the same time. Now I'm working full time, and I still can't pay the way for my daughter. Is it just me, or does somebody need to explain this--in the fine print, of course.

No comments: