Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Chess & Life

Last week I completed reading Garry Kasparov's book, How Chess Imitates Life. If you don't know the name, Kasparov was the reigning world champ in chess for nearly two decades and retired a few years ago. He recently tried to run against Putin in Russia, but was defeated soundly.

Reading Kasparov's book, I was struck by two things: Mr. Kasparov's incredible memory (he could recall chess moves, games, entire sequences that had transpired decades ago) and his belief that he is the second coming of Jesus. Somehow, he does believe he is going to be Russia's salvation for democracy.

Kasparov has bested me on both fronts.

I can't remember anything, including my wife's birthday or our anniversary date, and I know I'm not going to be anyone's salvation. If I were writing a book, I guess the title would have to be:
How Mediocrity Imitates Life or How Drinking Milk Out of the Jug Imitates Life or How Putting the Dog Out Imitates Life.

No comments: