Monday, March 17, 2008

The Boxer and Me

About ten years ago I received a phone call from a literary agent in New York who wanted to know if I would consider ghost writing a children's book for a famous boxer. Since I'd never ghost written anything before (and most celebrity books, by the way, are ghostwritten) I was hesitant, but nevertheless, intrigued.

"What's the book about?" I asked.
"Whoever is selected for the book will have to meet with this boxer and create an idea."
"Boxers have ideas?" I asked.
"This guy has a lot of ideas," she said.

Long story, short version--I didn't put my name in the hat, but I could have been fun. Who knows, I could have had my brains beaten in by George Foreman. And if I would have written a kid's book for him, I would have said, "Yes, George, whatever you say, George."

Incidently, I'm firing up his grill tonight. Anyone want burgers?

3 comments:

Mark W said...

How about a list of possible book titles for this collaboration?

Todd Outcalt said...

Thanks, Mark...if I had the gumption to suggest titles to George, here are a few that might float:

Hey, Lady, Put a Muffler on Your Kid!

George, the Grill-Happy Daddy

Rumble in the Jungle

Ali and Me and Baby Makes Three

All My Kids are Named George, and You Can be, Too!

Mark W said...

NICE!

The Adventures of Curious, Punch Drunk George