Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Proverbs

I've got several reference books at home that contain thousands of proverbial sayings. Some are from the Bible, some from Shakespeare, others from Oscar Wilde or unknown sources. I grew up in a family where proverbs were used to communicate (usually ineffectively).

"If you make the bed, you'll have to sleep in it," was one of dad's. Of course, he was always trying to get me to change the sheets, so I don't think he understood the metaphorical implications. (For the record, I don't make the bed, which is why I often don't sleep in it.)

I use Biblical quotes on Becky all the time. "It is better to dwell on a rooftop than in a house with an angry and contentious woman," is one I quote frequently. She never laughs, and believe me, the shingles are really chaffing my behind.

And just today I read one from Emerson (he was the custodian at our high school who kept a bottle of gin in the closet): "A person who knows how do something will always have a job. The person who knows why the job is done will always be the boss." But then, Emerson thought he ran the high school, so what does he know? He was drunk half the time.

Heaven help me before the early bird catches the worm, after all, Rome wasn't built in a day, and this blog is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get.

No comments: