Thursday, March 20, 2008

Best

I've noted that, in the past decade, business correspondence has taken on a decidedly cordial tone. Most of the business letters and emails I receive usually end with the now familiar "Best" or "All Best". The first time I noted this, I was left wondering:

Is the writer sending me his or her best wishes?
Is the writer wishing me good luck?
Is this the "best" he or she can write?

I'm not sure of the history and intent, so I never use this when I write business letters. But in case people are looking to get creative in how they close a letter, or truly want to express how they feel, why not try out a few of these alternative endings?

Hang in there,
Same old stuff,
Yours in boredom,
Yada, Yada, Yada,
Halfheartedly,
I'm just kidding,
On behalf of my lawyer,
In Buddhist Suffering,
Whatever,
With a Chuckle,
Nobody here cares,
The last straw,

No comments: