Thursday, March 13, 2008

The 12 Hour Sermon

Three years ago I preached a twelve hour sermon. Yesterday, Aaron Helman discovered several blogs that were less than complementary of the sermon (all written, I think, before I actually spoke). In a nutshell, here were the top three reasons the other pastors felt I should not have preached for twelve hours.

1. It was just a publicity stunt that makes a mockery of "good preaching."
2. I spoke for a long time but said nothing.
3. Preaching shouldn't be used to raise money for the church (and you shouldn't attempt to sell sermons on CD).

Now, here are my top three reasons why a person shouldn't preach a twelve hour sermon:

1. Afterwards, the throat is very sore.
2. You don't get to eat fish from the fish fry.
3. It takes a week to write a 12 hour sermon and mamma still ain't happy!

No comments: