Thursday, August 2, 2012

Blowing Bubbles

About once a month I find myself infused with the need to write light verse.  But the market for light poetry just isn't what it used to be.  And the verse accumulates.

As my wife and I approach our twenty-eighth wedding anniversary (August 18th--the day we will be helping Chelsey move into her townhouse in Bloomington and the day after we move Logan into Vincennes University) I find that I am writing more in a romantic vein.  But I also discover gems I had forgotten.

Here's one from my poetic daily journal, a poem I wrote back on May 31st.  I don't remember writing this one at all, but found it clever.  (Maybe Becky wrote it?)

Battle Axes



They say that men cannot express
Emotions as a woman must;
The fairer sex who wears the dress
Is sensitive and serious.


But where does that leave guys like me
Who often feel inferior
When moved to write his poetry
Expressing the interior?


Supposing women know their place
It leaves me just a protégé
With a poetic data base
Infused with every male cliché.

No comments: