Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Book Reports

Woke up this morning with nausea . . . so there's nothing to do but write this blog.  That, and reflect on a conversation I had with my son, Logan, about a book report he was completing last night.  It's a wonderful thing when kids get older and can actually converse (even a bit) about literature, and to wit, my son asked me if I'd ever read Bernard Malamud's novel, The Natural.

Logan was shocked when I told him that, not only had I read the novel, but that I had all of Malamud's published works on my shelves ("all of his books are sitting right in there!").  I proceeded to tell my son more than he wanted to know about The Natural, including the fact that it was Malamud's first novel, published in 1952, and that the novel only sold 3,000 copies over the first decade (just like my books!).  I then asked him what he thought of the book.

"It was about some zany baseball players," was all he could muster.

"It's a parable, actually," I told him.  "All of the characters are larger than life, blown out of proportion, so that Malamud can explore the meaning of integrity, relationship, and love."

My son wrote all this down on his book report, said it was "good stuff", asked me to repeat it.

"They made a movie based on the novel," I told him.  "It's actually very good. Some people consider it the best baseball movie ever made.  Robert Redford played Roy Hobbs."

"You mean I could have watched the movie instead of reading the book?" he asked.

"Both are good," I told him, "but the novel has a very different ending.  In the movie, Roy Hobbs doesn't take the money to throw the world series.  But in the book, he does.  Big difference! Hollywood doesn't like flawed heroes or depressing endings."

"Who would take money to throw the world series?" he asked.

"It happened.  Probably more than once.  That's why major league baseball had to ban gambling, and anyone caught gambling on baseball or fixing games was banned from the game for life.  It's still in effect."

"Interesting," he said.  "What else is the book about?  Got anything else for me?"

"Have integrity," I said.  "Don't gamble.  Always be honest.  Take care of your father when he is too old to read books.  Mow the lawn. Save your money.  Don't marry until you are forty-nine."

"Now you're messing with me!" 

Perhaps.  But a father has to try.

No comments: