Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Humor Me


In recent weeks, I think I've written some of my best humor pieces. Well, at least I think they are funny pieces. I wake up laughing (as I write some of these in my sleep). Becky asks, "What's so funny?" I have to tell her my idea and she doesn't think my idea is funny at all. She's never liked my written humor, though I've published quite a bit of it.

I'm never sure what will strike my funny bone, or why . . . I just write it the way I laugh it.

Looking back at my recent humor pieces, I see that I've written something like 20,000 words of humor over the past three months, which is some serious output . . . and that's just my humor alone. Humor, of course, is great for late nights or early mornings, when no one else is laughing, and when few people have the gumption to be awake and productive.

In the past couple of months, as I've risen at 5 a.m. to hit the weights and the treadmills and the streets, I've noted that few are laughing. That's where I come in. I see things. I hear things. And I write whatever emerges from my waking mind, even as I sweat.

After all, I've got to have something to do while I'm riding that stationery bike.

2 comments:

The Friendly Kemist said...

Enjoying your blog very much.

Was it inadvertent or are you that witty that you used the word "stationery" which is a tool for writing? OR did you mean "stationary?"

Todd Outcalt said...

I'm that witty!