Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Body, Mind & Spirit (Part 4)


Photo #4
Photo Title: Back to the Future
This Photo Shows: a) Todd as he looked one year ago b) Todd as he will look one year from now c) that he would rather be on a Caribbean island.
Photo Credit: Becky Outcalt
Quote: "Why in heaven's name did you bring that old t-shirt on our anniversary cruise? You look like you're going to paint the house."


What's Inside of YOU?

I offer this photograph today to make a point. As incredible as it may seem, the person you have seen in the previous photos/blogs was already inside of me one year ago when this photo was taken. But perhaps a bit of history and a quote would illuminate further.

Years ago, when Michelangelo was sculpting his masterpieces of Biblical saints, someone asked him, "How do you carve an angel out of a rough hunk of marble?" Michelangelo's response was, "there is an angel inside each block of stone. I simply take away everything that is not angel."

That's all I did for my fiftieth birthday goal. I simply chiseled away 21 pounds in 45 days and revealed the muscle that was inside of me. I had this body, mind and spirit a year ago, I had it ten years ago, even twenty years ago. I simply took away everything that was not needed. I shed myself of the excesses.

Even as I write this blog, however, I'm slowly returning to the guy you see in the photo above. After a few more boxes of donuts, and enjoying life as I do, I'll become the guy with the hidden six-pack. But I know it's there. I can uncover it . . . hone it, shape it, reveal it . . . at any time in the future. It's just a matter of mind, spirit, and dedication to the same disciplines that I'll continue to use in the years ahead. In fact, my goal will be to improve on fifty. When I turn sixty, I fully intend to be stronger and in better condition that I am at fifty. And yes, I'll take new photos to prove it. It is not physiologically or biologically impossible . . . as long as God blesses me with health and strength in the next decade, I'll be better at sixty.

You also have this same potential. I know it. I've seen it in hundreds of people who just uncovered what they already possessed inside. It doesn't have to be weights or bodybuilding (this is too weird for most), but it could be another activity, a pursuit, a hobby, a class, or a point of service to others that is your aspiration and goal. But whatever it is . . . don't wait for it to fall into your lap. Decide now to pursue it, to make it happen. Travel to the places you have always wanted to see. Tell the people you love how much you love them. Lead the group God wants you to lead. Give the gifts God wants you to give. It's never too late to begin.

My wife is still pressing onward with her education and goals, and in recent weeks she's even started talking about hiking to the top of Mount Kilimanjaro in Africa. Not my thing, but I'll go with her . . . and if I take a tumble from 19,000 feet and crack my head open like a ripe coconut, well . . . there are worse ways to go.

As for some of my other goals in 2010, I started out this year working to:
1. Write four new books (already done it, though none have been accepted for publication yet)
2. Mentor three new leaders in the church (done it)
3. Work to increase our church stewardship in outreach and mission (Calvary has doubled in mission giving)
4. Spend more time with my son, and have dedicated lunches and dinners with him (done, but need to do more!)
5. Preach good sermons (I'll make no judgment, but I've tried)
6. Write to my former teachers and thank them (done it)

Getting into top shape at fifty has also awakened comments from other people. I've had a few now who have said, "You should compete again." My wife believes I should sign up for a summer competition, then go the extra steps, and strut onto the stage again. We'll see. I'm just not sure I'm up to the bright lights, the judges comments, and the wild and raucous crowds chanting, "Give us more!"

Heck, I'm giving all I can. Sort of makes me wonder just how many donuts I'd have to give up to look like Michelangelo's David.

No comments: