Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Body, Mind & Spirit (Part 3)


Photo #3
Photo Title: After Raking Leaves
Photo Shows: a) Becky's photographer talents b) how many leaves Todd is not going to rake c) Todd could have used more time in the tanning bed.
Photo Credit: Rebecca Outcalt, Todd's nemesis and best critic
Photo Quote: "After I take this photo, you need to clean the bathrooms and then start cooking dinner. I've got papers to grade."



Communion of the Saints


Many years ago, my friend Steve owned a gym. Steve had some back problems, but, although he was older than I, he invited me to work out with him most mornings at 4 a.m. It was Steve who started me on the early-morning workout routine. I can't thank him enough. It was also Steve who first suggested, "You should compete in a bodybuilding competition. You could do it." Steve was not only CEO of a great company, but he was an inspiration to me in many other ways. We often called our trips to the gym, "Going to church." And for us it was. The Spirit was in that place, and we had many conversations about life, family, and God intermingled between the sets of heavy bench presses and squats.

A bit later, after my wife was diagnosed with breast cancer, I worked with Becky to get her mobility and strength back after her mastectomy. Although we both would have preferred a different path, those were special times together on the road to full recovery and wholeness. The weights and the movements and the situps were not just exercises, but spiritual disciplines needed for the healing. Since that time my wife has hiked the Grand Canyon rim-to-rim, has hiked hundreds of miles on her own, and has been kicking my scrawny butt when it comes to growing her mind and intellect. She's got 2X more college education now than I've obtained, and her commitment as a teacher to her students and their educations cannot be questioned. She is my inspiration in body, mind & spirit.

And through the years I can safely say that I've had some of my most "pastoral" conversations at the gym. I've counseled couples through marriage (at the gym). I've counseled young guys who were lost in themselves and tried to convince them that they didn't need steroids, growth hormones or other drugs in order to attain their best shape (and, in fact, taking drugs would be counter-productive). And I've helped others with their training and goals and tried to be an example of what one could achieve through perseverance, dedication, drug-free lifestyle, and unwavering focus on the prize. I've also helped younger guys train for their own bodybuilding competitions and encouraged them to stay drug free and spirit-filled. I will continue to do these things for others and will always be in the ready to give younger people workout advice, writing advice, and especially spiritual advice.

My point here is that body=mind=spirit is ultimately about people and relationships. As odd as it may sound to many people, trying to perfect my physical condition isn't about ME in the end. It's about what I can do with the gifts and strength God has given me to grow in grace, service, and helpfulness to others. Through the years I've also had groups of people in the church who have gathered with me for morning workouts or "stretching". These have been special times for me. Some people have told me, "If you can do it, pastor . . . we'll then surely I can, too!" That's what I'm talking about! That's what inspires me to keep going in my own quest for physical strength and perfection.

I'm inspired when I go to the gym and see friends there (older or younger) who are striving to prepare themselves for a surgery, or who are recovering from an illness, or who, like me, are attempting to be as young as they feel.

As for me and my house (that's a quote from Joshua folks!) I'm grateful that my son and I work out together some evenings in the garage. My son created a gym for us this past summer, and he still knows I can kick his butt. And from time to time, he looks to me for guidance and instruction. I only wish he would ask me to help him with his workouts more than he does.

And that's how I'll close this blog. With a thought: the family that works/recreates/works-out/exercises/prays/studies/serves together . . . stays together. Well, at least I think so. Stay strong! And don't look too closely at this photo . . . I'd need to lose another 10 pounds to be "competitive" on a stage (despite what the uninformed eye might think). But for now, I'll just be me, thankful for the shape I'm in at fifty. Now . . . back to the leaves. Gotta stay strong.

No comments: