Tuesday, June 15, 2010

What's Up?


I had no less than a dozen people last week ask: "What are you writing these days?" Some of the folks actually seemed interested, too.

So, let me explain.

First, I have several book proposals that have been cycling around New York this past month, including one about the dead American presidents--a kind of historical work that will feature pithy information and historical insights that I hope would be illuminating in a variety of ways. It will be a great book if I can get it picked up by a publisher, and one that will take me several years to write . . . but making the jump to historical works (as far as many publishers are concerned for me) is like asking Mr. Sulu to "push it to the limit" and asking Scotty "for more power!" Many publishers regard me as a Klingon. I'm not the type of species they desire to work with.

Okay, but I've got more, including a book about gospel in sports that I'd love to write, and another book on lesser-known Bible stories. These are all books.

On the essay front, I've been writing scads of humor lately, and if I don't mind saying so, some of the best stuff I've ever created. The New Yorker, McSweeney's, and MAD continue to be the recipients of my off-the-cuff insanity. Eventually I'll strike a nugget with one of these.

And I've also been writing letters. Stuff like:

"Hey, Becky, you forgot to pick up bread at the store yesterday. What am I gonna do for sandwiches?"

Or

"Please disregard the dirty socks. I'm gonna wear them again this week so we won't have to do a laundry and waste detergent. And I can always buy more at Goodwill . . . ."

No comments: