Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Under Construction


For the past two weeks our house has been under repair (new siding and painting). And for the past two weeks I've been startled by pounding, hammering and screams outside the window. Believe me, it's tough to concentrate on writing and romance when someone is looking through an upstairs window in the twilight.

A few days ago I was zoned into writing a great piece when, suddenly, there was a hard knock on the door. One of the workers were there with a question: "Hey, Mr. Alleycat, do you mind if we leave our trailer in your driveway over the weekend? It's filled with junk and will look very unsightly."

"No, I don't mind," I said, pointing to the four junk cars I own. "Join the club."

I had just sat down to a new paragraph when, again, the door bell rang. "Hey," another worker said, "could you give me a glass of water?"

Water? I think we have plenty of that.

With these many interruptions, I'm not sure which type of construction is more difficult: constructing sentences or constructing a house. I am sure that the sentence construction, however, is woefully under-rated.

No comments: