Monday, June 21, 2010

The Longest Sermon


Before a recent television interview (I hate these things!) the host asked me: "What's this I read about you preaching the longest sermon in Indiana history?"

"Well," I said, "I don't actually know if it was the longest, but it was a 12-hour attempt, and to my knowledge, there's no sermon in Indiana that has been longer."

"Fascinating," he said, "and how did you hold up?"

"My throat was raw at the end," I said.

"Are you going to do it again?"

"Never," I said.

It's funny the things that media folks can find on a person--particularly since the 12-hour sermon was nearly 6 years ago. But, most never ask me about some of my truly spectacular accomplishments, and so, toward that end, I hereby provide this list:

* I helped to pay my way through college by painting houses, dorm rooms, and natural gas wells.
* I paid my way through seminary by serving two churches, working as a hospital chaplain, writing, and working a campus job to boot (and with a full load of classes).
* I once ate a 20 foot black licorice whip (man vs. food, single sitting).
* A week later I had hemorrhoids from eating the licorice whip (man vs. bathroom).
* I have purchased jewelry for my wife on anniversaries and birthdays.
* I once leg pressed 1200 pounds (1 rep), 1000 pounds (3 reps), and 800 pounds for 40 reps (I could not walk the next day).
* I wrote a 200 page book in 24 hours.

No comments: