Wednesday, June 9, 2010

The Annual Conference Poem


As I ready myself for a weekend in Muncie, I couldn't help but wax a bit poetic in my expectations of annual conference.

The Annual Conference Poem

It's a frightening matter
When all clergy gather
Inside a confined space like a fence,
For it's then you can tell
How bad they all smell
When it's time for their conference.

Yes, out there in the world,
With their faith flags unfurled
Their preaching might actually make sense.
But cooped up one room
They're a package of doom
When they come to their conference.

Oh, some clergy for sure
Like to sit and demure
And lobby with women and gents
On one measure or other
(But really, why bother?)
It's only a conference.

And others, like me,
Look forward to tea,
And dreaming of other weeks hence
When the final prayer's said
And I'll be in bed
With my wife after conference.

And yes friends, I know,
Some consider it low
That I hold this up as defense,
But the fact still remains
There are far greater gains
To be made after conference.

But in case you are one
Who has lots of fun
I hope that you won't take offense
When I mention how lame
It all seems (and the same)
When we gather for conference.

As I round out the score
I intend not to bore
When I tell you it's no great suspense,
That I shed not a tear
After Muncie each year
When I drive home from conference.

1 comment:

Michelle Kallock Knight said...

Amen brother! You've found a silver lining in conference- it's end! Alleluia! And Amen!