Monday, June 7, 2010

The Joys of Book Promotion


There are several events, dates, conversations, and appearances that have been lined up for me of late . . . all designed to promote and otherwise spur books sales. Oh, the joys of it all.

One recent attempt to contact a book marketer landed me in voice-mail purgatory where, after days (yes, days!) of attempting to contact the person in question, I finally gave up and left an otherwise frustrated message that said something like: "Here are the three best ways to reach me . . . now, catch ME if you can!"

We have yet to make contact, and the event date is closing fast. Personally, I don't think we are going to make a connection. It's like giving a bad bid on the Price is Right. Ain't nothin' right about any of this, and as a writer, I got better things to do. Anyone wants one of my books, they know where to find 'em.

Later this week I am also slated to do a live interview via Skype . . . and I am actually a bit eager and nervous to see how this will come off.

At the end of all things, I'm not so sure that any amount of promotion and marketing makes as big a difference as word of mouth. People like books that other people are reading and talking about. I know I do.

But my name isn't Smuckers . . . and with a name like Outcalt, I'm not so sure that anyone is going to remember me.

No comments: