Friday, April 23, 2010

The Discovery


In the past year, I've read a number of books about book-collecting, bibliophiles, bibliophilia, and rare first-editions. Many years ago, I eschewed the insatiable desire for rare books and decided, instead, that I would spend my money on necessities like black licorice, donuts, and used underwear from Goodwill. I am so glad I made this decision, as it has saved me much heartache and actually given me enough money in the bank to repair junk cars.

Nevertheless, I do have a rather extensive library now, and sometimes I make discoveries among the old, dusty shelves. Not long ago, when I began reading again about the collecting of first-editions, I happened to peek inside one shelf where I have books double and triple stacked, and I discovered a first-edition of William Saroyan's, My Name is Aram.

I first read Saroyan in college, in a literature class, and perhaps I had purchased the book years ago, but I don't recall when or where or how I ended up with this copy, and a very good one at that. In most of the rare book websites I've visited I've noted that few of these first-editions come with the original dust jackets, and my jacket is pristine.

How much is this baby worth? Don't know. Don't care. I'll just reshelve it and keep on looking for other rare gems. I'll save the first for another day.

No comments: