Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Books, Boats, Barbells & Basketball


I took a day of vacation Monday and found myself enjoying as many "Bs" as possible. First, I enjoyed a long relaxing morning coffee on the back deck, with newspaper and books. After reading for an hour or so, it was on to the Whitelick creek, where Becky and I kayaked a couple of miles, ending up back in our front yard in the afternoon. It was a great two hour trip.

Then, to the gym, where I hit the barbells hard and tried to shed a pound of Easter candy. Not many in the gym yesterday, so I had the whole place, practically, to myself.

Then, to Goodwill, where I managed to locate two excellent first-editions for a song ($1.99 each). I found E.L. Doctorow's, City of God, and Calvin Trillin's, Deadline Poet. As for Trillin, I've read a fair number of his books and always enjoy his New Yorker writing. And E.L. Doctorow is certainly regarded as one of the best American writers, and two of his books, Ragtime and The Book of Daniel, are regarded as two of the top 100 American novels of the past century. I have read most of Doctorow's books through the years and he's one of my favorites.

By the time I settled in to watch the NCAA basketball final, I had read a short stack of books and had another smaller stack next to the chair. During the game I managed to swallow Raymond Carver's 2nd collection of short stories, What We Talk About When We Talk About Love, during the time outs and commercial breaks leading up to another Duke championship. This book was timely, as Becky and I never talk about love when we talk about love, and, in fact, I'm not sure what we talked about yesterday come to think of it.

The only thing I can remember saying to her all day was, "Look out for that rock up ahead!"

No comments: