Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Decisions . . . Decisions


Last night I finished reading Jonah Lehrer's bestselling book, How We Decide. Essentially, it is a book about how we make choices. Three weeks ago, I made the decision to buy this book . . . and I'm semi-glad that I did. It was a decent book, filled with some insights about brain activity and emotions, and how the balance of thought and feeling is brought into play whenever we make a decision. The chapter I enjoyed most was the one on Poker--a game I have never played, but a game that is certainly a balance between pure logic and raw psychology.

There are many decisions, however, that are already made for us. For example, we don't get to decide how tall or short we are, what color our hair is (okay, so maybe that's why women color) or if we do or do not have a certain illness. But what Lehrer is getting at are the daily decisions we do make, even simple ones, like choosing off a menu or selecting an ice cream flavor. Why do we do what we do?

I've also made my own decisions of late.

For example, I've decided that people don't like my books. I'm not sure why editors decide to publish me. Why do you, Mr. Editor?

I've decided that I don't like pastors' conferences. Heck, I can barely tolerate myself, why would I try to tolerate a room full of other nincompoops?

I've decided that I won't drink 12 cups of coffee in a single day every again. (This was my way of self-medicating through the pastors' conference and trying to stay awake through the boredom of it all.)

I've decided that I don't like boredom. From now on, I'm sticking to things I enjoy. Like writing this blog.

No comments: