Saturday, September 19, 2009

Tally-Ho


A few weeks back I received an email from a fellow in England (London, I think) who had questions about marriage. I'm not sure if he had read my blog, or one of my books, or just found my name on eHarmony, but he obviously considered me an expert on marriage. (He's so mistaken there, it ain't even funny.) Nevertheless, I did write him back with some advice.


Dear Mr. Alleycat,
Do you have any advice for me?
I'm a man living in London and need some expert advice on marriage.
Any advice you can give?
Desperately yours,
Stewart (Yeah, I'm English)

Dear Stewart,
Ever read Alexander Pope? How about that poem, "Ode to a Nightingale" by John Keats? He was English, wasn't he? There's great stuff in there.
As for advice on marriage, try T.S. Eliot, who wrote in "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock":
"I should have been a pair of ragged claws, scuttling across the floor of silent seas."
You ever felt that way, Stewart, when your double-decker bus breaks down? Or how about when the moat dries up around the castle and you can't go fishing for bluegill? Well . . . that's what marriage is like, that's why poets write, and that's why blogs like this get written.
Best of luck and Tally-Ho!
The Married Man

I love England by the way!

No comments: