Thursday, September 24, 2009

Potato Peel Pie


A few days back I began reading The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows. The book came highly recommended from several women I know, and has been on the NY Times bestseller list for months.

Still, I guess it's a woman's book, because I just couldn't get past the first fifty pages. And when I can't get past the first fifty, I give up. So I shelved it.

I'm not downplaying Ms. Shaffer and Ms. Barrows and their accomplishment of writing a novel through a series of letters, but I just couldn't get into it. I hear it's good at the end, but please, ladies, give me something more exciting than potato peel pie to get me there.

And while we're talking about it . . . what the heck is potato peel pie, anyway?

No comments: