Friday, July 10, 2009

Mid Year 2009


At the beginning of each year I set various types of goals for myself. Some of these are professional, others more personal. Now that we are just a bit past the midpoint of 2009, I thought I should at least take a peek back, do some self assessment, and see how I'm shaping up in my goals.

First, let's take one of my professional goals . . . which was to be more invitational in my evangelism and helpfulness of others (to find people in need rather than having them seek me out). Well, I've grown a bit here, I think. I have invited a fair number of people to Calvary, have had some personal spiritual conversations with people, and more recently, have invited a fair number of strangers to our Godspell performance (even offering to pay for tickets). Okay, not bad, but I'll strive to be better yet.

A personal goal for 2009 was to lose some weight and "get in shape". As I approach 50, this gets tougher, but, as Yogi Berra once said, "I ain't in bad shape for the shape I'm in." According to my wife, who sees me in another light on a regular basis, I have shaped up this year. I know I have become stronger and have gained some much-needed muscle again, but I need to do more cardio now that summer is here, and I'm still working to lose ten pounds of butter around the middle. I think it's from eating those bars of Crisco like they were cookies. But I'll keep working.

Writing? My goal was to write four new books in 2009. Since I have three books to be published in 2009 (which I wrote in 2008) I thought I should up the ante and push myself to write four new books this year. So far, I've been astounded. I am working on a new book for Health Communications that involves an entirely new role and venture for me (more on this later) and have plans to publish a book under a pseudonym (because no publisher will publish all I write under my own name) and I also have a third book that I will be working up later this year in partnership with another pastor you know and love (but I'll let her give the grisly details after we sign the contract).

Will I write four in 2009? You betcha! Do I hear five? Six? I have to remind myself that I'm only at the half-way point of 2009 and I could easily get other contracts from the more the half dozen proposals I've got floating in the midst of editors.

Finally, I've read a few books, too, and will easily read the Bible through in one year. My favorite Bible book so far . . . 2 Kings. Gained many new insights from that one. And my favorite book so far in 2009? I'll go with Manhut: The Twelve Day Chase for Lincoln's Killer, by James Swanson.

Now, for the second half of 2009. It's a Friday-day-off . . . what to write today?!

No comments: