Saturday, March 21, 2009

Updike and Basketball

As I write this, I'm watching the Duke/Texas basketball game in the NCAA tournament. I'm literally typing this on a laptop, reclining on the couch, watching the television. But I also have a book at my side . . . a title I pulled from my library: John Updike: The Early Stories.

Updike died earlier this month and I miss the idea that he won't be around to write any more marvelous stories. Updike loved basketball, and his Rabbit novels feature Rabbit Angstrom, a guy who loved basketball. I think Updike loved the game, too.

I can scarcely watch anything on television anymore with reading a book at the same time, or writing at the same time, and I'm going to enjoy reading a couple of Updike's stories while I watch the ball fly through the hoop.

1 comment:

Del. Blog said...

I'm glad "someone" enjoyed that game. Hmmph.

Kendra S.