Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Secret Agents





I'm going to begin a new blogger series today that I'm entitling "Secret Agents". Here's why.
Writers always pine for a good literary agent . . . you know, someone who can hobnob with the big name editors in New York, who can lunch with celebrity, and who can, hopefully, sell a book and cut a big deal that will land the writer a fat, juicy contract.
This has never happened to me . . . but you get the picture. I have, however, had four literary agents over the past ten years (is that a record?) and I'm going to tell you some funny stories about my agent experience.
Some of it ain't too purty, and most of it is depressing, but the longer I am removed from the pain of receiving the final phone calls, the funnier my agent experiences become.
I hope everyone will enjoy my secret agent blogs. Especially all those writers out there who think they have to have an agent to get a book published. I'm not successful, but I am living proof to the fact that a writer can still write without the benefit of an agent who eats caviar and speaks in a French accent.

No comments: