Thursday, January 22, 2009

Book Dedications

This past week I was asked to insert a book dedication into the galley proofs. But honestly, I've run out of the obvious choices. I've dedicated two books to Becky, two to my children, one to my parents, one to my mother-and-father in-law, one to my brother, one to a cousin, a couple to friends and colleagues, and a handful to various congregations and staff. These are the only people I know. I'm too boring to have many friends, and I'm certainly not going to create a dedication to impress someone, such as writing a dedication like "To Oprah, who should have me on her show so I can become a millionaire." See what I mean? Doesn't work for me.

So . . . I've got to get creative here. I've got to plumb the depths of my dementia and dredge up a a dedication that will be talked about centuries from now.

How about:

To General Cornwallis . . . who was my commander-in-chief in a former life

To Cary Grant . . . who taught me how to be a great lover

To Buster . . . just a pug, but in dog brains may be more intelligent than my son

To Ralph, my personal taylor . . . thanks for the needlework on the crotch of the new suit

To Bob the banker . . . thanks for the low interest rate

To Mrs. McGee . . . my seventh grade writing teacher whom I loved and adored

To Anyone Who Buys This Book . . . thanks for paying full price

To the All the Children My Parents Didn't Have . . . I would have loved to have met you

No comments: