Sunday, September 7, 2008

Team Sports


Last week I finished reading Church is a Team Sport, by Jim Putnam. Yes, it is a hokey title! No, it didn't have any earth-shattering revelation about church. But I did enjoy reading about Jim's pastoral call and his adventures in building a gigantic, vibrant church in Idaho. (Way to go, Idaho! Got tatters out there?)
Now, the basic premise here is that everyone has to work together for the church to be unified (duh!) and that is takes leaders, cheerleaders, and a team spirit for the church to accomplish the mission of Jesus (another duh!).
I hate to do it, but I'm blowing the whistle on this book! I'm calling "too many men on the field" on this one! I'm bringing out the Gatorade early and dousing Rev. Putnam before the game is called on account of darkness. I'm gonna go Keith Jackson on this book and yell, "WHOOAAA NELLIE!" I'm gonna send a letter of protest to the commissioner and insist that we not use any more sports lingo to talk about Jesus (the coach!) or the church (God's team!). Illegal procedure. You get the picture!

3 comments:

Mark W said...

Well, I guess I will have to stop praying for Jesus to "drop kick me, through the goal post of life. Not to the left, and not to the right."

Todd Outcalt said...

Yes, but I know I'm just a big chunk of coal, but I'm gonna be a diamond someday!

Todd Outcalt said...

Yes, but I know I'm just a big chunk of coal, but I'm gonna be a diamond someday!