Thursday, September 25, 2008

Rewriting rewrites

This past weekend I was burdened with the task of rewriting the rewrites for a book to be published in the fall of 2009 (more on that in another blog). I worked all Friday night on the book (why is it that my Friday's usually consist of sitting in front of a computer screen and typing words?) and finished up early Saturday morning. The great thing about a second rewrite, of course, is that it usually represents the culmination of a writer's work on the manuscript. So, as far as I'm concerned, it's done!

Finishing a book is a great feeling. I love the writing, I like the research, I enjoy the process of seeing the book being birthed--but God knows I won't ever look at the thing again once it hits the book shelves. I'll be working on something else by then.

In fact, now that this one is complete, I'm ready to move on to something else . . . perhaps a book about donuts. Sugared. No, maybe coconut or lemon-filled. I deserve it. So tonight, I'm buying a whole box!

No comments: