Tuesday, June 17, 2008

My Wife, the Celebrity

By now I've received about a dozen copies of the Indianapolis Star feature on my wife. Yes, it was an inspirational profile. I even put a copy under her pillow last night in hopes that it would inspire her.

But there are a few aspects of the feature that were left out, including how my wife really feels about me, her teaching, and her kids. Consider these expunged quotes:

On the Celebrity's husband:
Yeah, I've got a husband. I'm married . . . if you want to call it that. I mean, the guy is helpless. He'd starve to death if I didn't cook for him. You ever try to teach an old dog new tricks? Honey, you've got a lot to learn.

On the Celebrity's teaching:
Middle schoolers? How do I do it? Honey, you ever try to herd weasels? You ever try to teach a ferritt about ultraviolet light (or any mammal from the rodent family for that matter)? Being in the classroom is like trying to perform a labotomy on a headless chicken.

On the Celebrity's hiking experiences:
Yeah, I've hiked the canyon. My deadbeat husband stayed home and ate pork-n-beans straight from #10 cans for five consecutive days. Gained four pouds by the time I got back, mostly in his hips. I have to drag his butt out of bed just to get him to hike down to the mailbox to get the paper. We read the Star, by the way.

No comments: