Saturday, June 14, 2008

Late Night Radio

Some years back I had a publisher who insisted I sign on with a Boston-based marketing firm to help promote a book. So, I gave them all my money and waited for them to set me up with a travel and speaking schedule. What ended up happening was late night radio.

Have you ever listened to the kind of stuff that is out there on the waves at 2, 3, 4 a.m.? I was the guest on some rather bizarre shows.

One show, as I recall, required that I get up at 3 a.m. and call into the show (long distance, on my dime). I waited an hour for the DJ to come on the line--a show airing in Honolulu, Hawaii. When the guy finally welcomed me, he asked me to state my name, plugged the book title, and then hung up. The call was a thirty-dollar promotion and I doubt anyone was awake at the time. I didn't even get to sing "Tiny Bubbles" for the dude, and I had practiced all week.

And that was one of the tamer shows. The others, I'm afraid, were just too weird to categorize.

No comments: