Thursday, January 23, 2014

I Don't Always Write Poetry . . . But When I Do

I don't always write poetry, but when I do . . . I write about anything.  Well, most anything

It's difficult for me to keep up with myself and my obligations these days.  I have new titles coming out later this year, writing to meet other deadlines every day, and producing essays and poems along the way for magazines and journals.  Rather insane.  But I'm truly grateful I can do it . . . writing refreshes my soul and creating new worlds keeps me from being so lonely when my wife's not at home (which is most nights). 

More recently, I've had a few poems accepted for publication and later this year I'll have my first collection of poetry (a book) making its way into print.  (Thank you, Penny.)

I don't always place poems on this blog, but here's one that surprised me with its appearance a few weeks ago.  I like it.  Although it's a metaphor, it rather sums up how I feel about the role and meaning of ordination in my life (while certainly not defining the whole of me). 

Ordination

Was it the laying on of hands
That melted me toward faithfulness
Or proved the Spirit's touch?

Or would the mundane make amends
Or cause mere water to express
Some power twice as much?

I say it is a love that sends
And through some graceful gentleness
Reveals the Lord as such.

No comments: