Monday, March 4, 2013

Surprise Party

Imagine my surprise when, last week, I received a paycheck for some essays I had written in 2012.  Heck, I thought I had written all of them pro-bono . . . sort of like all the free stuff I give to Becky . . . free food, free romance, free attention, free love.

But evidently these essays were also published in a downloadable format--meaning that every time I got a "hit" from a reader who just couldn't live without my work, I received a royalty.  Kind of like musicians getting a kickback for every song played on the radio.  Tiny royalties, to be sure, but they can add up.

Anyway, an unexpected payday.  And I can send my windfall along to some good causes . . . with the exception of a few "self-reward bucks" that I'm putting aside to buy myself a bag of black licorice. 

Now that I know my essays are in hot demand, you can bet I'll be writing a lot more of those suckers in 2013.  The more the merrier.  I hope people buy 'em by the gross. 

And for those who did "purchase" my essays in 2012 . . . well, thanks a heap.  I'm glad to know that there are people out there who want to read what I write.  That's why I write.  For YOU. 

I remind my wife of this daily.  I cook for her.  Clean for her.  Save myself for her.  Give her my full attention after 1 a.m. every night.  She usually doesn't want it, however.  She just likes the thought of getting a freebie.

No comments: