Thursday, February 14, 2013

Valentine

I'm not much on Valentine's day, but I am a romantic.  I will be purchasing a dozen roses and preparing a dinner at home (pick a can). However, in lieu of premade cards, I always give my wife a sheaf of my most recent love poems.  She will have several forthcoming tonight.

In case you other romantics out there need a poem to spark some romance, here's one I wrote more than 3 years ago . . . an oldie, but a goodie.

Happy Valentine's Day.

We Shall Be Old Some Day

We shall be old some day when the children are grown,
When the house is cold, the attic spare . . .
And then I will see you everywhere.

We shall be old some day with a pension plan,
Our passions quenched by a coffee thirst . . .
And I will love you as at the first.

We shall be old some day when the evening is dark,
When our teeth are false, our opinions honest . . .
And I will love you as I promised.

We shall be old some day with our photos faded,
The mortgage paid, our work at end . . .
And then we shall be young again.

No comments: