Friday, February 15, 2013

Introverts

It is one of the most intriguing books I've read in the past five years:  Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World that Can't Stop Talking, by Susan Cain.

Naturally, I took the "introverts" test . . . and learned that, indeed, I have strong introvert tendencies.  Some of these include: a propensity toward considering all options before acting; processing information in solitude; a strong bent toward reading; an affinity with and preference for writing; the ability to sit for long stretches in silence and create from scratch. 

About 1/3 to 1/2 of the human population fits into the "introvert" category according to Cain . . . and her study here includes many insights about the unique tools and strengths that introverts bring to bear on the history of creativity, new invention, and paradigm shifts.

Interesting stuff in Quiet

Naturally, I wanted to see if my wife was an introvert, too . . . so I made her take the test.  She tested as high as I did on the introvert scale . . . which explains why we are able (even as I write this!) to sit alone at home, side-by-side for hours, and never speak a word.  We have no TV.  No radio.  Only our books, our writing implements, and our hours of strung-out-existence in complete quiet and solitude.  She doesn't look at me.  I don't look at her.  We communicate through sounds like Hmmfffggg (which means: "get your butt off the couch and bring me an orange!") or Grbiglel (which means: "I've got the hots for you and want to feel you up after I eat this orange!").

Why, even last week, our introverted tendencies led us to new heights in communication.

Me:  Ygelgemish  ("Did you turn the thermostat down?  It's cold as a brass monkey's elbow in here!")

Her: Nbbgrplck ("Don't you understand anything about menopause?")

Me:  Mvywoklunk ("Try using a vowel once in a while, will 'ya?")

Her:  Yooouuiieeeaaa ("There, I used 'em all, and even threw in a y, which can be a vowel also!")  

Me:  Vanavanafufana ("Who do you think I am, Vanna White?")

Her:  Wigglepoop ("Oh, go back to your little blog!  Write another book chapter, see if I care!")

Me:  gggdddnt ("Goodnight")

Her:  lllvu ("Love you") 

As you can see, introverts have highly-tuned communication frequencies and most introverts can turn out 2000-words or more a night when they are not freezing their nuts off.  And having a space heater really helps, too.