Friday, December 14, 2012

Have You Seen My Hobbit?

It is less than two weeks before Christmas and we have yet to do any of the following at our house:

* Pick a tree and decorate it
* Purchase Christmas gifts
* Purchase groceries
* Locate Christmas decor in the attic
* Discuss Christmas plans
* Drink a Peppermint Mocha from Starbucks

We have also not seen any of the holiday movies, including The Hobbit, or, on DVD, It's a Wonderful Life.  I suggested we watch Charlie Brown Christmas last night, but was met with scorn and disinterest.

But I can see why . . . .

Each evening, for the past two weeks, I have been up late writing against a self-imposed deadline of January 7 (a make-believe date that I fabricated as a kind of motivator so that I can churn out 100 pages of a new book in less than a month).  And with Becky writing year-end reviews herself (sitting by the cozy fireplace at least instead of a dingy office with a 25-watt bulb) and my son home from college but disinterested in all things Christmas and tinsel, it is easy to see why the entire enterprise will be accomplished last-minute . . . or much of it, not at all.

But now, on Friday night, and with Becky attending her office staff party solo-mio, there's a good chance I might get to see The Hobbit . . . if my son can wrangle us some tickets and if I can write an additional 25 pages over the weekend. 

But a little reward never hurt anyone.  And I might even stop in for a Peppermint Mocha afterwards if my tank still holds a few more pages before lights out.  I just hope I don't end up looking like Golem.  Winters are tough, and perhaps I might upgrade to a 40-watt bulb.  Even Golem looks better with a tan.  

 

No comments: